Friday, February 24, 2012

it's a good day to be grateful...

This post is about the "Things" in life I am grateful for
I'm not talking about my faith
or about my salvation
Or about the people that bless and enrich my life.
This is just about "things" That said, James 1:17 says Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. God has been SO good to me, and knowing my heart, has given me many things, both simple and grand that give me joy. Here are a few of them, Welcome to my world!! :)

*my favorite corner. 
 My daughter and my son in law surprised me with the clock when they saw me admiring it in a store. (Thank you KB and DB!) My dad made the swing for me and Hubs went to great lengths to hang it indoors at my request, crawling way out into the tightest part of the attic to add supports. He came back out, triumphant, covered in sweat and grit from insulation and roofing shingles! Had I known how difficult it was going to be to hang it, I'd never have asked. But now that it is done, I am so grateful! I love it so much! :)

*my favorite chair.
A good friend gave this glider to me a few years ago after it had already served her house well. I sewed an old quilt and a couple of pillows to make a new cushion. Hubs repaired it with a few screws and it was a perfect place to rock my grandbabies in when they were small and either I or they were in the mood for a few extra hugs and snuggles.

*my red chair
I got this at a yard sale for 7.50.  I used to have two, had to get rid of one because there wasn't space for it in my house.  I'm holding on tight to this one. I love it. It's unique and it's red and round. I've always been partial to red and round things. I used to like strawberries, then hearts, then Elmo then apples. It finally dawned on me that I like red and round.  Now? I like cherries..... and this chair :)

*my kitchen table. 
 I found it used on the web and paid someone to haul it home for me.  With the 8 chairs and 2 highchairs and the tiniest baby on her mama's lap, our entire family can eat together. (note to self: time to order another highchair!)

*my kitchen.
No special reason, every woman loves her kitchen. Hubby made mine exactly the way I like it. We put in new cupboard doors made some open shelving, and installed a vintage sink "just like Grandma's" with attached drain boards. I love my kitchen!

*my pantry/laundry room door. 
Hubs installed it for me. There used to be a wall here. To enter it I had to go out the back door, down the stairs around the corner, up the stairs and into the laundry room. Now I can enter right from my dining room. Best of all, it has that wonderful "screen door slam" that my grandma's screen door had.  I love it!

*my front door.
Ever since I was 8 years old when my father told me what a Dutch door was, I wanted one. Last year my husband paid to have someone turn my old door into a Dutch door for me.  I love it! Thanks Sweetie! :)

*my "medicine" cabinet.
 I've got kiddos around that I want to protect, so if you look in my medicine cabinet you'll see something a bit different than you might expect. :)
  
 *my favorite painting.
The man in the painting reminds me of my Dad, the little guy reminds me of my youngest son. I miss the days we would visit Dad and Mama at their cabin in the woods.  Next time I see Daddy it'll be when I catch up with him in Heaven :)

*my art gallery :)
each of my grands has their own spot to fill with their creations. It's my happy hallway! :D

*my "clothes line"
These are baby clothes from my two daughters and my grand daughter. It hangs above my "gallery". I love having touches of little ones all over the house to make me smile when they aren't here in person!

*my chocolate cherry dishes
(the "chocolate" is the brown set that I mix with them) These are a fav. for extremely obvious reasons! :)  I had Corelle Winter White for 20 years. My sensible self said "It goes with everything!" My adventurous self took over several years back and wanted to get what I actually love.  Hubby bought me these.  It's quite a story actually, hmmm... another blog post??

*my favorite colors
 At last count I have 15 red shirts and 22 brown ones. I adore red and brown together or separate. and my favorite flavor? chocolate cherry of course!



2 comments:

Terri said...

Love it all!!! LOL!! The medicine cabinet!! Miniatures was a long ago extreme hobby for me!! Imagine that! I still have three dollhouses I built myself and ALL of the furniture, etc.!!

Carolynn Stewart said...

It doesn't surprise me! I always wanted to build a doll house and outfit it with a miniature life of it's own... never did get around to it and then one day I saw this cupboard! :)