Friday, January 13, 2012

Millet


Millet: my new fav. grain :)  I buy it from a co-op that delivers locally... Azure Standard.... truly an amazing company... Millet tastes a bit like a cross between white and brown rice.  It's light like white rice, but has an earthy quality to it like brown.  Truthfully, I don't even like rice, Hubby loves rice however and has given millet a thumbs up. :) There is something special about it.  A) it's cheap.  for a 25 pound bag I paid less than 19 dollars.  2) it's a complete protein, that spells nutrition! C) it's gluten free. and 4) a little makes a lot.  The directions say to simmer 1 cup of millet in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes.  Okay, it tasted a little gummy to me, so I'm going to try it again using 3 and 1/2 cups of water.  You can make it sweet with cinnamon and sugar, or jazz it up with your favorite spices to make it savory.  I like it best sweet, hubby says salt and pepper is just the ticket. Three cheers for Millet!
I did make it again using 3 1/2 cups of water.... perfection! :)

No comments: